Sunday, March 18, 2012

Homemade Rye Bread

 The bread actually rose! Amazing. I've had some not so good experiences with making homemade bread in the past. Which has made me shy away from experimenting with it much. But, I've been feeling especially creative lately, and almost a bit on the confident side, so I decided to give this bread-making thing another try. I did stop at our local bakery Sweet Wife Baking and ask the owner, Jenny Mowe, for a few pointers.
 She is amazing and if you ever get the chance to try any of her creations, DO IT!!! Trust me, magic happens in that place. She told me to make sure that my warm water was at least 101 degrees before adding the yeast and sugar. And she also gave me some ideas on kneading and elasticity of the bread. Things that I hadn't read in any of the cookbooks I've used. But now that I think of it, hearing these types of tips from someone, one on one, is a much better way to learn than to read from a book. At least that's the case for me.

My friend Kate was making Irish Soda Bread to go with our St. Paddy's Day meal, so I thought I'd add some rye bread to the mix. The recipe is from the book Low Fat Baking. I love this book because of the step by step instructions with pictures of the process, not just the finished product. It really does help when you aren't sure of what you're doing in the first place! I can tell you, with great pride, that the bread was a hit! Everyone loved it. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I didn't tell anyone that I was making the bread. In case it didn't turn out good, or didn't rise, I figured, if no one  knew about it, then I could just leave it at home and feed it to the birds. Luckily, it was perfect. The texture was just as you'd imagine rye bread, and the flavor was bold with a hint of sweetness. So good! I definitely think that I'll make this again. As long as I have a party or gathering to attend. There's no way that my husband and I could eat two entire loaves of bread! I wonder what my Grandma would think of me baking bread from scratch....I'm almost positive, she'd have a smile on her face just like I do.

Rye Bread

3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups rye flour
1 cup bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs caraway seeds
2 cups warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
pinch of sugar
2 tbs molasses

1. Put the flours and salt in a bowl. Set aside 1 tsp of the caraway seeds and add the rest to the bowl.
2. Put half the water in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the sugar, mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the yeast mixture with the molasses and the remaining water. Gradually incorporate the flour and mix to a soft dough, adding a little extra water if necessary.
4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Return to the clean bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place for about 2 hours, until doubled in bulk. Grease a baking sheet.
5. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half, then shape into two 9 inch long oval loaves. Flatten the loaves slightly and place them on the baking sheet.
6. Brush the loaves with water and sprinkle with the remaining caraway seeds. Cover and set in a warm place for about 40 minutes, until well risen. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the loaves for 30 minutes, or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack. Serve the bread plain or slice and add a low-fat topping.
Makes 16 servings
Calories: 156

1 comment:

  1. This bread is so mouthwatering amazing!!!! Yummm I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your grandmother's recipes with us! That is a true gift you're giving the world!

    Blessings on your head!

    ReplyDelete