Thursday, April 26, 2012

Giving Back & Paying it Forward


I have several friends that seem to enjoy my cooking so much that they don't even mind eating our leftovers. Seriously. I guess I'd welcome a bowl of homemade soup or stew for lunch if it was brought to my home or office. Who in their right mind would turn away free food, especially if it's homemade? I've been known to make too much food on purpose, simply because I enjoy sharing so much. I simply adore receiving texts or calls about how delicious the food is. Aside from the fact that it's a confidence booster, it's a pretty special feeling to be able to just simply give to others. Whether it's your average leftover packaged in Tupperware or it's a batch of your favorite cookies, preparing food for friends and family is incredibly rewarding. There's a sort of magic in the whole process. Food is comforting, nurturing, heartwarming. And when you receive food as a gift from someone, you can almost feel the love as you enjoy each bite.
 My husband's Grandma Ina would give the best treats around the Christmas season. She took so much delight in seeing our faces when we'd open our tins of Peanut Brittle, homemade Fudge and Peanut Butter Balls. She would spend hours upon hours in her tiny kitchen preparing all of those wonderful goodies. She knew the secret to giving. She understood that sharing her talents, without any promise of reward was a very special thing indeed. I first met her when I was 19 years old. She and her husband Nevel attended our Engagement Party. She brought me a gift and embraced me before I even knew who she was. And then, she greeted me with the thickest, most wonderful sounding Scottish accent I had ever heard. Oh, how I loved to here her laugh. I learned that the more she laughed, the thicker her accent became. In the first few years of knowing her, I often asked my husband or my mother in law to translate what she had said. She was great fun to be around. We all called her Grandma Ina but her given name was Alexanderina. Looking back, I realize that I probably learned more about giving by just watching her, than I ever intended to. She would call, just to check on us, send us birthday cards with little notes written inside and always send us home with homemade goodies if we stopped by to visit. Being only 20 when my husband and I got married, I was young and insecure, somewhat unsure of my place but Grandma Ina made me feel as though I belonged. She'd talk to me about her brother and sisters in Scotland as if I should know who they were, almost like I had been a member of the family for years. When Grandma Ina made you a tin of Peanut Butter Balls, you felt loved, appreciated and included. That was her intention as she was making them and packaging them up. She wanted to see your smile, to hear you say how amazing they tasted. I definitely have that same intention when I give gifts of meals or desserts.
One of my best friends works in a medical office. On my way to work, I will occasionally drop off a Tupperware container filled with a hearty soup or thick tasty stew so that she can enjoy it for lunch. Each time I walk back to her office, I realize that I need to do something for the entire staff at some point. Last night, I made a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies and also tried a new recipe for Butter Meltaways. I dropped them off this morning and informed the staff that this time, the container wasn't just for my friend, but for all of them. Seeing their smiles made my entire day! Grandma Ina would have loved to have been there with me, to feel and see the secret to giving. It's truly magical.

Alexanderina (Ina) and Nevel, 1940's


Butter Meltaways

1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Additional sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, oil, and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar, gradually add to the creamed mixture. Chill several hours or overnight.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. (I always use parchment paper) Flatten with a fork dipped in flour, sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 2 dozen.

Recipe from 2000 Taste of Home Annual Recipes

1 comment:

  1. You always make me smile Marna. I love your posts! You have such a giving and generous heart. Thank you for sharing Grandma Ina with us. She sounded like a wonderful woman!

    ReplyDelete