Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rock Creek....memories.

Rock Creek....75 steps from my front door.

How I came up with the name for my blog:

I've had a couple of people ask where the name Rock Creek Recipes: Memories and Merriment with Marna came from and I thought I'd share the story. It all starts way before I was even born. My grandparents lived in Southern California and sometime during their early married life, they discovered a wonderful place in the High Sierras to camp called Rock Creek Lake. Obviously there is a creek there. Although as a child, it seemed to me more like a rushing river than a creek. They would camp there often with friends. I have many photos of their trips taken during the 60's. I never get tired of looking at them. My grandparents absolutely loved to go camping. Their honeymoon was a trip to Sequoia National Park. Yes, they spent their wedding night in a tent. My grandma laughed about that many times. She told me that they saved up for a year to be able to take that trip. She thought fancy, elaborate weddings were a waste of money. She'd rather spend her money on trips and traveling. My grandpa loved Rock Creek. He said that some of the best fishing in all of California was at Rock Creek Lake. They would plan their trips around opening day of Trout season. I have so many photos of them with fishing poles in their hands. Rock Creek Lake is surrounded by pine trees. It is a beautiful place, filled with memories. When I came along, I was fortunate enough to be included in almost every camping trip. My third birthday party was in that campground. My aunt made the most precious cake, with white icing and an adorable pink kitten drawn in icing on the top. I loved that cake. My uncle and cousins were also there as well as my grandparents camping buddies, Noel and Vera and their son Don and daughter in law Joan and their children.  Grandma and Grandpa had been friends with Noel and Vera since before they were married I believe. Camping with Noel and Vera was one of my favorite things to do. I loved them. Such fun people, always laughing creating a fun atmosphere. I can still remember hearing Noel and my Grandpa Zim laughing. They'd sit out by the fire pit after I'd been put to bed. The four of them would talk, and tell stories late into the night. I'd try to stay awake so I wouldn't miss anything. Even on cold nights, I'd open my little window next to my bed in the trailer and peek out at their campsite party. They would often have a late night snack of baked potatoes, wrapped in foil and cooked in the hot coals of the fire. Rock Creek holds many memories for me.
We now live in Eastern Oregon, just steps away from a beautiful creek...Rock Creek to be exact. What are the chances that my life would come full circle? There are numerous pine trees here, just like at Rock Creek Lake. We even have a fire pit in our back yard, very similar to those you'd find in campgrounds, surrounded by large river rocks. Sometimes, when I'm out in our yard, I feel like I'm camping. It's such a treasure to live here. I'll lay in my hammock under the tall pines, listen to the birds sings and close my eyes. I'm easily transported to camping trips from years ago.
When I finally decided to start a blog, I knew the name had to be special. I invited my friends to help me come up with the name. Our really good friend Bob suggested Rock Creek Recipes. I knew right away that it was perfect. An excellent way to pay tribute to Grandma Myrt and Grandpa Zim. I added the second part of the title, "Memories & Merriment with Marna" because this is much more than just a cooking or recipe blog. This is a place for me to combine two of the things I love, writing and cooking. I am who I am because of the influence of those two people. And of course, my other grandparents, my mom and dad, my husband, daughter, friends...the list is long. I've had an interesting journey to get to where I am. And I've been told that the stories I share are special. So here I am, blogging. I'm having a fabulous time, remembering, thinking, writing, cooking. I'm thankful for this outlet. And thankful that people are interested in reading about my experiences.
I really do love the name Rock Creek Recipes. It makes my smile, for many reasons.





2 comments:

  1. Awe, what a great story. It makes me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing how you came up with the name! It's funny how fate plays a roll in our lives. What a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete