Monday, March 12, 2012

BBQ Pot Roast

I found the BEST recipe for Pot Roast! While on a day trip with my husband, I found this particular book in a thrift store. I'm always on the lookout for cookbooks, new, used, vintage. Doesn't matter, I just love cookbooks. And it is one that I didn't have in my collection of Taste of Home books and magazines. "Low Fat Country Cooking." This roast was so tender and the flavors were amazing. Definitely something I will make again. I prepared it the day before and shredded the meat before putting in the fridge for the night. My Grandma would sometimes do this, saying that the flavors would be much more intense the next day. And I believe she was right. As I was cooking this, my husband could barely contain himself. He was going crazy because of the aromas wafting through the house. I'll have to admit that it was pretty tough to keep the lid closed on the pot and not sample and taste as I was cooking. This recipe makes enough for two meals, so tonight, we'll use the remaining meat for shredded beef burritos. Yum!


Barbequed Pot Roast


1 boneless chuck roast (3 lbs) trimmed
1/4 tsp pepper
1 8 oz can tomato sauce ( I used a larger can, just because I knew I'd need the extra sauce since I was serving it with brown basmati rice)
1 cup water
3 tbs dried minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground mustard

Sprinkle roast with pepper. In a Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Add tomato sauce, water, onions, and garlic. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over meat. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
Makes 6-8  servings


So tasty. I'm sure this would be great with mashed potatoes as well. The rich sauce is a perfect gravy. I actually used some of it to add some flavor to my side dish. Green beans and caramelized onions with Paula Deen's House Seasoning. Pretty awesome dinner. Nothing fancy or gourmet but it sure did taste good!

1 comment:

  1. Marna, I'm happy to see your blog. Isn't it fun! You follow mine and I'll follow yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete