Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chicken Breasts wth Hearty Mushroom Sauce

 Food Scents

There is nothing quite like the aroma of a home cooked meal being prepared. As a child, I recall coming home from school to a house filled with wonderful scents. Garlic, onions, a slow cooking sauce, or a simmering stew.. And even now, if I've put a meal in the crock pot before we head out to work, the aroma when you walk in the door in the evening brings a smile to my face. What is it about food that is so comforting? A good home cooked meal has the potential of turning a bad day into something wonderful.
A few weeks ago, on my quest to find healthy recipes, I searched one of my Grandma's cookbooks, titled "Great Taste- Low Fat.....Over 200 Delicious Recipes Under 400 Calories" by TimeLife. I love cookbooks with photos. I think it is much more inspiring to see the food before you cook it and it gives you an idea of what the meal is supposed to look like. Since I was given this cookbook, I think I have made at least 8 recipes from it. And every one of them turned out great. I found this great recipe that tasted so good, my husband wanted me to make it again later in the week. The chicken was tender, the sauce flavorful and of course, the aroma while cooking was out of this world! Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Chicken Breasts with Hearty Mushroom Sauce

2 tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered (I used baby portabellos)
1 yellow or red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Cup reduced sodium chicken broth, defatted
1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1. On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the flour, 1/4  tsp of the salt and the black pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Add the garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, rosemary, and 1/3 cup of the broth to the pan and cook until the mushrooms and bell pepper are softened, about 7 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, the remaining 2/3 cup broth, and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt, and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and cook until just cooked through, about 4 minutes, Stir in the basil. 
Serves 4 
Calories: 166


I served this with brown Basmati rice and a salad. 


Happy Cooking!! And even happier eating!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment