Sunday, April 1, 2012

Poached Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Broccoli Cheese Muffins

  Last week, I needed to make a meal with ingredients that I already had on hand. I did not want to make a special trip to the grocery store when I had plenty of food stocked in my pantry and freezer. Needing to keep our calorie count in mind while trying to shed a few extra pounds, I pulled a cookbook called "Secrets of Fat-Free Cooking" off the shelf. I found both of the following recipes in this book. I made Broccoli Cheese Muffins and Poached Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce. With that, I added some whole wheat Rotini pasta and some sauteed zucchini. Not the most glamorous meal but definitely tasty and satisfying. Perfect for a weeknight meal when you really need nourishment.

I've never baked with whole grain cornmeal and since there was not a picture of the muffins in the book, I had to guess at the expected results. They had a really chewy and dense texture with a pleasing flavor. Not too much broccoli or cheese. I know that whole grains are much better for us so I'm doing my best to incorporate them into our diets.


 The poached chicken was so moist! And the sauce was wonderful. Just a hint of lemon complimented the mushrooms perfectly. And there was enough sauce to cover the pasta I prepared as a side dish. My husband and I both love sauces and gravies. And we are realizing that by adding those, you add a ton of unwanted calories.


But not with this meal. Since the sauce is made of fat free chicken broth and non fat sour cream, there is no reason not to indulge. With the correct portion in mind, of course. I'm really enjoying the process of cooking healthy foods. Eating the fruits of my labor is actually exciting. When trying out a new recipe or a different and unusual ingredient, the results are always a surprise. It definitely keeps things interesting. And who wants to eat the same thing every week? Not me. For those days that I'm rushed or uninspired, I'll always have my stand by meals, those quick and easy dinners that can be put together in a matter of minutes, but trying new things is exciting and fun.

Poached Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1 cup fat free chicken broth

Sauce:
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
1 tbs unbleached flour
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs freshly grated lemon rind

1. Rinse the chicken, and arrange it in an unheated nonstick skillet. Add the broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside. pour the broth into a measuring cup. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.
2. To make the sauce, place the mushrooms in the skillet along with 1-2 tbs of the reserved broth. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender and all of the liquid has evaporated. Add 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs of the reserved broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low.
3. Combine the sour cream, flour, pepper, and lemon rind in a small bowl, and stir until smooth. Add the sour cream mixture to the mushroom mixture, and cook and stir for about 1 minute or until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.
4. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve hot, accompanying the dish with brown rice or whole grain noodles.

Makes 4 servings
Calories: 207



Broccoli Cheese Muffins

2 cups whole grain cornmeal
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tbs baking soda
1 1/2 cups nonfat or low fat buttermilk
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced fat cheddar cheese

1. Combine the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the buttermilk and egg whites, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the broccoli and cheese.
2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray and fill 3/4 full with the batter. Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
3. Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow them to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm.

Makes 16 muffins
Calories: 86







No comments:

Post a Comment