Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grandma Myrtle's Blender Custard Pie

My Grandma Myrtle had an enormous effect on me, in many ways. My love of cooking comes directly from her. As I share recipes and stories with you, on this wild journey of my new blog, my hope is that you will get to know her and appreciate her as much as I do. I was fortunate enough to be raised by her and my  Grandpa Zim. Two wonderfully amazing people that I miss everyday. This blog was actually inspired by all four of my Grandmothers, Myrtle, Anna, Maryon and Alexanderina (Ina). Each of them has had a part in creating who I am, how I cook and my entire kitchen "attitude." We all have one. Some of us experiment, some stick to recipes and follow them to a "T," while others will do anything to stay out of the kitchen. If you think about it, the cooks in our lives, the ones we grow up watching, whether men or women, really do influence our style. The older I get, the more I appreciate food. And the process of meal planning, shopping, preparing and eating. I love sharing food with friends. And my husband and I enjoy entertaining. Although our style is much more laid back than anything that my grandparents did. They were from the generation that would have dinner parties. Guests were expected to dress up bring a hostess gift and basically be on their best behavior. It was a different world back then. One that I would like to visit. I'm thankful that I have so many memories and gifts from these women. And I'm excited to share them with you. 

In honor of my Grandma Myrtle, I'd like the first recipe I share, to be one of her favorites. I really have no idea where she found this recipe. I'm guessing from a Bisquick booklet but with her, you never know. She was always clipping recipes from newspapers and magazines, sharing recipes with friends and even making up her own. I loved when she'd surprise Grandpa and I with a dessert that we didn't know that she had made. Oh, to be a little girl again and see her walk into the den with a large black tray with three pretty glass dessert plates on it. Each with a piece of this yummy custard pie! I have made this pie more times than I can count. It's a bit on the addictive side because it's so light tasting. Don't say I didn't warn you. I've had one of these pies disappear in less than 24 hours!

                            Grandma Myrtle's Blender Custard Pie

1/2 Cup Sugar
4 eggs
1/2 stick margarine
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Bisquick
dash of salt

Blend all ingredients for 3 minutes. Pour into greased pie pan. 
Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Enjoy! (And I won't say how many servings this makes. If my grandma were serving it, we would each get a small piece and there would be enough for the next two evenings. If I made it and my daughter still lived at home with us, I can guarantee that it would be gone the next day. We eat it for breakfast too!) 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks super good, I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing! - Darleia

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! <3 <3 Meredithe

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMM! I love that you have a blog! Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo very cool! I can't wait to try out your recipes!

    Shawna :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I must say..that is one heck of a pie. For those of you who haven't had the benefit of answering the door to one of these fresh from the oven...you have no clue what you are missing..I almost couldn't wait until it set to try it..smooth..custardy goodness. I was blessed to receive one from the chef herself and..mmmmm...mmmmmm...good. I had never had a custard pie until this evening and I had no idea a simple pie could be so delicious. It was plain down home wholesomeness in a pie tin. It was thick, creamy with just a hint of nutmeg taste. It reminded me of eggnog..except I can have it anytime....I guess if I had to describe it in one sentence it would have to be......Makes any day a holiday....I would HIGHLY recommend this pie for any occasion. Tami

    ReplyDelete