Monday, July 2, 2012

Strawberry Custard Torte

Strawberry Custard Torte                      
A little slice of heaven....  
One of my favorite things to do is to make dessert. And if I'm lucky, I'll make that dessert for friends. Rock Creek Hubby and I love to entertain. Looking back on our 20-plus years together, I think that we always have. We've hosted parties, holiday meals, game and movie nights, meetings. I remember cooking Thanksgiving dinner for close to 20 people once. I enjoy the process of cooking and preparing food but I also enjoy feeding my friends. Sharing food is a special thing. When you find friends that you enjoy spending time with, sharing a meal with them is even more special. And having the opportunity to cook for them? It's simply amazing.
This past Saturday we had a group of our friends over, to celebrate the 4th a little early. We have about four acres here and since we've worked so much in the yard this year, we figured that it was about time we enjoy the beautiful space we have here.
Luckily, I found out ahead of time that our friends don't care for chocolate and peanut butter, which was my original plan. I switched gears and opted for something light and cool. This torte was perfect. It reminded me a lot of Strawberry Shortcake. And I love the fact that the custard is homemade while the cake comes from a mix. I had a friend ask if it was possible to add a lemon flavor and I definitely think so, either use a lemon cake mix instead of the plain yellow or add lemon to the custard. I think that would be a delicious alternative. The entire Torte is served cold, which added so much to the flavor and texture. Perfect for a summer BBQ.

There are times that I worry about how my food is presented, especially when we have company. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I have such trouble getting my creations to look like the photos in my cookbooks. But then I remind myself that this is something I enjoy, a hobby and not how I make my living. I don't need to be obsessive or overly meticulous. This is supposed to be fun. So, if you notice the crumbs scattered about in the whipped topping of the Strawberry Torte, like I did, then you'll have to excuse me. I was enjoying the process of cooking so much that things got a little wild in the kitchen. My daughter shared a quote with me today and I think it fits perfectly, on many levels.    "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon."  That describes me completely. 

Strawberry Custard Torte

1 package (18-1/4 oz) yellow cake mix
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 carton (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 package (12 oz) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
Sliced fresh strawberries for garnish

Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Brind to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Place half of the whipped topping in a bowl; add strawberries. Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the strawberry mixture. Top with a second layer; spread with custard. Add third layer; spread with remaining strawberry mixture. Top with remaining cake and whipped topping. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.
Yield 12 servings

2 comments:

  1. You are right..that quote describes you perfectly....and that looks yummy!!!

    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! You so totally rock! Can't wait to see you in a few days!
    ~Shawna :)

    ReplyDelete