Saturday, December 1, 2012

It's Elf Season!

 Today is a big day. For the last several years, I have been Santa's Elf. Today is our first appearance of the month. We spoke on the phone yesterday, and reminded one another of how important this is to so many children, and parents. Santa (Rick) and I were friends before we began this adventure. We make appearances all over this little town, the DHS Foster Family Christmas Party, both of the local assisted living facilities, the library, a local toy shop, we even make visits to the courthouse, city hall and the police station. Rick is retired law enforcement and feels that it is important to visit the employees to express our thanks for all of hard work. Even something as simple as a candy cane and a smile can make such a difference. Today, we are a part of the annual Festival of Trees Family Day and our local Kiwanis Club is offering photos with Santa. I wrote the following story, Elf Magic, two years ago, after a day of posing for photos and visiting with children. I hope that you can feel the magic of this season.



Elf Magic
by Marna Fahrney on Wednesday, 08 December 2010 

I woke up with butterflies, filled with excitement. As I ate breakfast, I recalled the conversation that Rick (Santa) and I had the week before. He called to remind me that on this day, we were to leave all troubles, worries and personal issues aside and become Santa and his Elf. This day was important. This day was magical, spiritual. He then told me that we would be remembered for a lifetime in some of these children's hearts. What a wonderful man he is, to take on the task of becoming Santa with such respect and responsibility.
I had laid out my Elf Costume the night before. Jingly hat, Red knickers, Elf Booties, all in red and green, of course. I braided my hair, added sparkly eyeshadow and glitter to my everyday make up, because everyone knows that Elves sparkle. Still feeling butterflies, I gathered the rest of my things and headed into town. Stopping at the store for a few 'extras', I noticed the peculiar looks from adults. I guess it takes the mind and heart of a child to truly understand the enchantment of an Elf.
The snow was gently falling which added even more of a sense of wonder to the day. I knew that I was ready for whatever was in store.
Our photographer specializes in families and children and we knew that she was going to capture some amazing memories today. The Santa Photo staff, members of our local Kiwanis Club were setting up and preparing for the arrival of the many children, eager to tell Santa what they wanted. Order forms, check, printers and paper, check, photographer, check, Santa and his Elf, check....5,4,3,2,1....GO!
We saw the usual type of child, excited to spend a few minutes with jolly ol' St. Nick, and of course, the little ones that would scream at the very sight of him. A few even remembered me from last year, which of course, confirmed the actual existence of Elves in their minds. As the children stood in line, I approached them and bent down, so that I was at their level. The smile in my heart spread to my face and I asked if they were ready to see Santa. Some of the children said that they were scared and did their best to hide behind the legs of any nearby adult. I gently peered around the adult and told them that I had something special that would take away all of their scared feelings. I pulled out a small jar of Magic Elf Dust from my pocket and opened the lid. Asking them to hold out their hands, I sprinkled the sparkly magic onto their heads and let it fall onto their hands. I wanted to know if they felt scared now, they shook their heads and we grasped hands and walked slowly over to where Santa sat in his large chair. The magic was working...we could all feel it. The pictures were the proof and the looks on the children's faces was the icing on the cake.Some of the children brought gifts to Santa, one that stands out was a small bag of carrots for the Reindeer. A few brought special artwork that they had created just for Santa, a few had written out their lists and one even brought a melted piece of candy that looked partially eaten. I told them all that I would place them in Santa's Big Gift Box so that he could take them back to the North Pole.

While children were in the room, I never saw Rick break from the character of Santa. He really was Santa, a real snowy white beard, wire rimmed glasses, sparkle in his eye, a voice that enchanted even the adults. During one of the slow moments, I stood back and pondered the thought of an average wife and mother, becoming an Elf for a day. How often does this really happen? How lucky was I, that I could give a gift such as this to all of these children? Children from all types of families. Rich, poor, those from religious homes and those that knew nothing of the traditional meaning of Christmas. I gave the same attention to all of the children because they each deserved my best.
Generally, when toddlers come to see Santa, they are excited and when asked what they would like for Christmas, they respond with a list of their favorite toys. A small boy, about 3 years old, approached with a middle aged woman. We did what we normally do; Santa greeted him, I helped to position him on Santa's lap and then the question of what he wanted was asked. We were not prepared for his response. With a quiet voice he stated that he wanted his adoption to be finished so that he could have a mom and dad. Silence. Rick and I shot a glance at one another, realizing the enormity of what had just been said. Holding back the tears until the little boy and his guardian left the room, we then held up the line of children so that we could break down. With that one little boy, the entire meaning behind what we were there to do, came into focus. I wept. I couldn't stop. Rick and I just sat and cried. What are we supposed to do with a wish like that? If Elf Magic did exist, I was heaping it onto this little child, engaging the powers of Santa, all of the Elves and each of the Reindeer to make this Christmas wish come true. How insignificant are all of our problems and complaints in comparison to what this 3 year old wished for Christmas? We were in awe. I cannot recall a time in my entire life where I felt so small and powerless. Being a mother as well as an Elf, I just wanted to hug, nurture, and care for this little boy. How in the world could I get through the rest of the day?

Somehow, we managed to pull ourselves together and continue on. We talked with big kids, who of course, thought that they were much too old to visit Santa, much less sit on his lap! At the slightest doubt of Santa's existence, out came the Magic Elf Dust...sprinkling the wonderful sparkles onto older children always resulted in giggles and a look of embarrassment. I could tell that there was now a question in their minds...just maybe, there really was a Santa? An older girl, that I remembered from the year before came in with her mother. I guessed her age to be 13 or 14 but she was obviously mentally delayed and was more like a child of 6 or 7. She remembered me also. Since there were no other children in line, Santa and I spent a little more time with her. She wanted a baby doll and stuffed dog for Christmas. She liked my striped socks and my hat with jingle bells. She knew this was the real Santa because of his beard. As she got up to leave, I asked her if she wanted to know what extra special thing I brought with me. I stood next to her and we looked eye to eye. She was entranced and ready to see what I had. As I pulled the Magic Elf Dust out of my pocket, her eyes lit up, her smile broadened and she began to giggle. I sprinkled the sparkly dust all over her and as her mother stood by, I again, felt the magic of the moment. Not surprisingly, tears started to form in the corners of my eyes. Keep it together for a few more minutes, I told myself. As she closely inspected the fallen glitter that was now covering her hands, her mother pulled me aside and told me how much I had meant to her daughter over the last year. She talked about 'The Elf' for an entire year. And here I was again, to confirm in her mind, the reality of Elf Magic. This 'job' of being the Elf was so much more than just a volunteer position for the day. This was an honor, a privilege, something that I could do to 'pay it forward'. Those that know me, know that I am a huge supporter of volunteering. It seems that each time I give of myself, be it time, talent, work of some kind...I am always left with the feeling that I was given far more that what I offered to start with. I believe that true magic happened in that little room that day. I saw it, I felt it and I have no doubts that Elf Magic was present through each moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment