Sunday, December 23, 2012

Grandma Ina's Peanut Butter Balls

This is one of my favorite recipes. And I look forward to making these every year. My Grandma didn't make Christmas candy, she preferred baking cookies. So when I met my husband and realized that his Grandma always made candy at Christmas time, I was more than excited. Her given name was Alexanderina but everyone called her Ina. Grandma Ina was a really good cook and and even better candy maker and cookie baker. She was from Aberdeen, Scotland and even though she had lived in this country for more than half of her life, she still had a very strong accent and often used Scottish slang words and even Gaelic in conversation. As you can imagine, it was always entertaining to talk with her. She insisted that this recipe came from Scotland, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm wondering if they make Rice Krispies in Scotland. If one is wise, they will never argue with a Scottish woman. At least if they know what's good for them. I never questioned her about the true origin of this recipe. And I won't even tell you my suspicions. She had it memorized but she also had it written on a very worn and discolored index card. I could barely read her writing, so when she said she wanted me to write it down and try to make them, I did my best to copy  the measurements and directions  correctly. I must've been successful because the recipe always turns out right. Years ago, when my husband was growing up, his Grandma would fill coffee cans with these Peanut Butter Balls, her famous fudge, and several other creations from her kitchen. She saw him, rifling through the can, searching for the Peanut Butter Balls and she asked him why he was doing that, didn't he like the other treats in the coffee can? He very carefully said, "No, not really." He didn't want to hurt her feelings. He was her first grandchild, and they had a special bond. From that year on, his Christmas Coffee Can of goodies only contained Peanut Butter Balls. I'm thinking that he was a bit spoiled. I think that she would have been the first one to admit that. I always enjoyed seeing them together. She loved hearing his impression of a Scottish accent. When she became upset or excited, her accent was even thicker. I will never forget hearing her laugh. I wish I could accurately describe it. Light, joyful and infectious. Simply filled with happiness. My husband would say something funny or tell a joke and once she started laughing, she couldn't stop. She could barely catch her breath.


Our daughter was her first great grandchild and she absolutely loved when we would visit. She took so many photos of her as she grew older. This photo was one of her favorites. I can see why. Grandma Ina looks completely and utterly happy with her great granddaughter. I think she would be pleased that her recipe is being shared with so many people. She passed away before Facebook was created. I wonder what she would have thought of my blog and that she is being included in it. I'm smiling, imagining that she would want me to interview her so that I could write many stories about her. She loved telling stories. What a sweet woman. I hope that this making this recipe and sharing these treats with your family and friends makes you smile like it does our family. From our home to yours....

Grandma Ina's Peanut Butter Balls

1/2 cup real butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
3 cups Rice Krispies
2 cups Creamy Peanut Butter (I always use 2 1/4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 bar parafin wax
12 oz chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream together (with hands) butter, sugar, peanut butter and vanilla. Add Rice Krispies, Form into small walnut sized balls and set on a sheet of waxed paper. Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt wax and chocolate chips. Remove from heat once completely melted. Using tongs, drop balls one at a time  into chocolate to coat and set on waxed paper to dry. Store in airtight container. Lately, I've drizzled stripes of chocolate across the top of the balls. It seems to add a bit of pizazz. I just can't get away from using words that my Grandma used. Pizazz. Who talks like that nowadays? I guess I do. I also like a word that my Grandpa Zim used...Snicklefritz. He called me that when I was little. Good memories.

Also note the glass serving dish in the first photo. That belonged to my Grandma. I love that I have some of her things. Using them makes my heart smile. My Grandma Myrtle also loved Grandma Ina's Peanut Butter Balls. They only met a few times but enjoyed one another's company. Women from that generations seem so polite and well mannered. There are a lot of lessons we could learn from them.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this, Marna! <3 ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Rose. As you can tell, I love writing almost as much as I love cooking and baking. For me, the two really do go hand in hand. If you try this recipe, and I'm guessing you will, please let me know what you think. <3

    ReplyDelete