Sunday, December 9, 2012

Spinach and Bacon Bread


What could be better on a cold winter night than some fresh bread with a bowl of stew of soup? I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks and decided to give it a try. I was pleased with the results. This particular recipe makes two loaves, so I was able to  freeze one for later use and it thawed out perfectly. Since my Grandma passed away back in 2007, I have tried to incorporate as many new recipes into our routine as possible. She would be proud of me for trying so many new dishes. She had her favorite meals that she prepared often but she was always searching for something different to add in to the mix. I remember the time she made frogs legs. I was 7 or 8 at the time. Of course she couldn't tell me what we were actually eating so said that it was chicken. I believed her through the entire meal. It did taste like chicken so why doubt her? After we finished with dinner, she told me the truth. I can't recall if I became upset or not. She made them a few other times so I must have been fine with it. I was pretty good about trying new foods. We had a fig tree and I absolutely loved eating them right from the tree. Our next door neighbors had an avocado tree and we would pick those that were on our side of the fence. Many times I went to school with a mashed avocado sandwich. And yes, the kids did make fun of me for it. It bothered me, but not enough to not eat my sandwich. Avocados are delicious. Yes, Grandma Myrt would be really proud of me. I love to cook and I enjoy trying new recipes. She taught me well.
I hope you'll give this recipe a try. So much better than any store bought bread.

Spinach and Bacon Bread

scant 2 cups warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
pinch of sugar
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 ounces Canadian bacon slices, chopped
8 ounces chopped spinach, thawed if frozen
6 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

1. Put the water in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and add the sugar. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans.

2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and Canadian bacon for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Meanwhile, if using frozen spinach, drain it thoroughly.

3. Sift the flour, salt and nutmeg into a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture. Tip in the fried bacon and onion (with the oil), then add the spinach. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture and mix to a soft dough.

4. Transfer the dought to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Return to the clean bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and set aside in a warm pleace to rise for about 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.

5. Transfer the dough to a floured surface, knead briefly, then divide it in half. Shape each half into a ball, flatten slightly and place in a pan, pressing the dough so that it extends to the edges. Mark each loaf into eight wedges and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and set aside in a warm place until well risen. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

6. Bake the loaves for 25-30 minutes, or until they sound hollow when they are tapped underneath. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment