Monday, January 21, 2013

Indian Spiced Curry Turkey Soup

Indian Spiced Curry Turkey Soup

New recipes make me happy. When I'm trying a new recipe for the very first time, I get a feeling similar to the feelings one has while opening a birthday present. Excitement. A bit of anxiety, because I'm not sure how it will turn out. And joy. Who doesn't love a gift of something new? Just like a birthday present, a new recipe brings excitement. And the possibility of adding a new meal to our repertoire. Wisdom from my Grandma: always be willing to try new foods. Even if it is just once. Even if you don't like the look of it. Even if it is an exotic, rare food. I would say that is very good advice. Our meals should be an adventure. We all have our favorite stand by meals that we can put together quickly, meals that we know our families enjoy. But every now and then, we should add something different to the mix. A meal, an ingredient, a spice or herb. A guaranteed way to get stuck in a food rut is to prepare the same things continuously.
Growing up, I knew my Grandpa didn't care for curry or anything with a curry flavor. I knew this because we never had any meals with curry included. I remember trying Indian food as a teenager and really being intrigued by the intensity and complexity of the flavors. My husband actually found this recipe in an old issue of Muscle & Fitness magazine. He brought the opened magazine to me and suggested we try this recipe. With our current weather of single digit temperatures at night, soup is always a good choice. We both agreed that this recipe is a keeper. I could easily make this once a month. I hope you'll give it a try. And if you do, please let me know what you think. I'd love to have some feedback.
Happy Cooking!

Indian Spiced Curry Turkey Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped ginger
1/4 tsp chili flakes (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp mustard seed
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 small tomato, chopped (I used grape tomatoes, cut in half)
2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
1 cup plain low fat yogurt, divided
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (I used a bit extra, simply because I love cilantro)
1 jalepeno, chopped (optional)

1. Heat a medium or large stockpot to medium heat. Add olive oil and onion, and cook until light golden brown.

2. Add ginger and all spices. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Then add tomato, turkey, most of yogurt and chicken stock and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.

4 Garnish with remaining yogurt, cilantro and jalepeno.

Serves 4
365 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment