Friday, January 11, 2013

Enchilada Casserole

Do you want a meal that is under 400 calories per serving, yet packed with flavor? Then this is a great recipe for you! Nothing fancy or overly complicated, just hearty, filling and incredibly delicious. At my request, my husband often searches through some of my cookbooks for meals he would like to try. It is better to have his input since he is the one that will be eating whatever I end up preparing. No point in making something he doesn't like. But after more than two decades together, I have a good idea of the type of food he likes. Once in a while I will prepare a recipe that isn't normally something he would eat, just to see if his tastes have changed. And I will admit, sometimes I do it to see if he notices. I've been known to hide carrots in a stew by shredding them, and adding pureed squash to soups. He never seems to notice. Imagine that.

 In many of my cookbooks, certain recipes will have a little star beside them. This means they are hubby approved and I can feel free to make them anytime. If there are two stars, then that is considered a true winner that I can make as often as I please. Some people are adamantly against writing in any sort of book. But for me, writing in the margins of my cookbooks personalizes them. When someone gives me a cookbook that they no longer want or need, I always search for their personal notes. It means so much to see someones handwriting, thoughts and suggestions along side of the recipes. I'm guessing that someday, someone will wonder who wrote all of the little stars in all of my cookbooks. Maybe I should write a note on the inside cover about those little stars....

Enchilada Casserole

1 lb ground turkey
1 large red onion, chopped
2 cups chipotle salsa
1 can chipotle pinto beans, drained
1 pkg taco seasoning
1/4 tsp ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inch) I used low carb tortillas
3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped (I used cherry tomatoes)
1/4 cup minced cilantro

1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salsa, beans, taco seasoning and cumin. Place a layer of tortillas in a 2-qt baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers.

2. Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro.

3. Pull up a chair and join us for dinner! This was two star recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment