Monday, September 24, 2012

Living in the Moment

 Rock Creek Recipes is back! I have been away far too long. I've missed the process of writing and sharing.. What a busy summer it's been around here. We've crammed as many small trips and adventures into the weekends as humanly possible. Sometimes it felt like we were in a whirlwind. Was it worth it? You bet. Life goes by too fast. I have no intention of sitting in a chair and watching it go by. While I enjoy quiet, relaxed days, I also love being busy and active. Life needs balance. And looking back on the past several months, I'm sure we could have taken things at a slower pace but in doing that, we would not have been able to experience as much as we did. Living here, we know that we have a limited amount of time for summer related outdoor activities, we realize that fall and winter are a slower, more relaxed time of year while spring and summer are filled with activity! And I do mean filled!
 I started out the spring with taking numerous walks in the area that we live. I took a lot of photos because I wanted to give you all an idea of the beauty that surrounds us.These grand trees are less than half a mile from home. When I walk down the road, I'm always captivated by their presence. I can't quite explain it. We drive by them everyday, almost without noticing. But when I walk past, I always slow down and gaze at them. I take in their beauty, their calming presence. It is almost as if they are beckoning to me, to stop, to take notice, to appreciate, to breathe.

 Spring is a gorgeous season here. Everything new, fresh, coming to life after a snowy winter. I eagerly anticipate the ground thawing, the leaves returning to the lilacs, the tiny buds of flowers forming then blooming practically overnight. As I watch the transformation of our yard, from a frozen, white landscape to a lush, green oasis, I do my best to live in the moment. To truly appreciate the changing of the seasons, the fragility of life, and the air that I breathe. It seems that this place brings about awareness and appreciation. I was raised to be an outdoor type of girl. We camped and hiked, fished, picnicked, and often ate our summer dinners on the patio. I guess it's only natural that I would continue to have that desire, to be out in nature.

  
When life gets a bit hectic, you can find my by the water. This is just a simple irrigation canal that runs through the corner of our front yard, from Rock Creek but hearing the water move across the rounded stones is so soothing and peaceful. I know that my grandparents would have loved it here. I can imagine my Grandma, barefoot, pants rolled up, wading into the cool water. It seemed that anywhere we traveled, if there was a body of water, she had her feet in it. I have at least a dozen photos of her standing at the edge of a creek or lake, toes dipped in and smiling. In my imagination, Grandpa is sitting by our little "creek", in the shade with his straw hat on, his hand gently petting our dog, Nalah, He had such a love and appreciation for all  animals. I can't remember a time when we didn't have at least one pet when I was growing up. He was always so sweet and kind to them. Yes, I think that they would have felt right at home here. After all, this place has the look and feel of so many of the places we camped over the years. And life goes on, they may not be here any longer, but they will forever remain in my heart and in my thoughts. They know how much I miss them. I try to not let sadness consume me, I try to live with joy, the way they would want me to. So I encourage you to get out in nature, feel the earth, feel the magic it has to offer. Live in the moment, take it all in. Life goes by too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment