Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fiesta Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Pineapple Salsa

Delicious Fiesta Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Pineapple Salsa 

Now that the weather is warming up, I am always on the lookout for a recipe that incorporates having Rock Creek Hubby run the grill. He knows how to BBQ much better than I do. It's always seemed to be his job. I guess with practice I could master it, but I wouldn't want to take away his job. He seems to enjoy it.
This recipe caught my eye because of the avocado. I simply adore avocados. Having had an endless supply from our neighbors tree growing up, I just can't seem to get enough. The combination of the salsa verde, pineapple, avocado and cilantro was divine! I honestly don't crave red meat like Rock Creek Hubby does, but I really liked the flavor that the marinade gave to the steak. A really delicious meal and definitely one that we'll have again. And a plus? It's healthy! This recipe came from Healthy Cooking, Taste of Home 2012 Annual Recipes

Fiesta Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Pineapple Salsa

4 servings
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 beef flank steak (1 lb)
1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed (I used two, because I LOVE avocados)
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pineapple juice, lime juice, garlic salt and cumin. Score the surface of the beef, making diamond shapes 1/4 inch deep; place in bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
2. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, salsa, avocado, green onion and cilantro. Cover and chill until serving.
3. Drain beef and discard marinade. Using long handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 inches from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium rare, a thermometer should read 145 degrees, 160 for well done.)
4. Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Serve with salsa.

3 oz cooked beef with 1/2 cup salsa equals 274 calories

Happy grilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment